A Global Pandemic
To date, FSM is COVID-19 FREE! The FSM is taking necessary measures to prevent COVID-19 from entering its borders and assisting stranded citizens.
The Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) is a sovereign nation with a Compact of Free Association with the United States Government that went into effect in 1986. The national capital is Palikir located in Pohnpei State. In 1991, FSM became a member of the United Nations.
FSM is made up of 607 small islands in the Western Pacific about 2,500 miles southwest of Hawaii and northeast of Australia. Though the country’s total land mass is about 271 sq. miles, it spans over one million sq. miles of the Pacific Ocean. It has four States: Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk and Yap. Each State, except Kosrae, has groups of outer islands and atolls. There are eight native languages spoken in the country each with different dialects. English is spoken widely, understood by many, and used as working language in the government. According to the latest FSM Census, the population in 2010 was 102,843. Absent a 2020 FSM Census and based on past projection, the population of the FSM in 2020 is 115,023.
The 2019-nCoV Pandemic Outbreak and the FSM
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19.
COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. The outbreak was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020.
FSM COVID-19 NEWS/UPDATES
- 41 FSM Citizens & Diplomats Enter Pre-Quarantine in Guam for Repatriation to the FSM on December 5th, Palikir, November 24, 2020
- Face Masks by Local NGO, Palikir, October 28, 2020
- Modular Isolation Units Handover Ceremony, Palikir, October 16, 2020
- FSM Citizen Repatriation Efforts to Begin with COVID-19 Free Jurisdictions, Palikir, September 22, 2020
- Signing of Social Distancing Decree by His Excellency President David W. Panuelo, Palikir, August 25, 2020
- Pre-Quarantine Prior to Repatriation in FSM, Expanding Economic Stimulus to More Businesses, and Expanding Unemployment Aid to Non-Citizens Discussed in Committee to Wait on the President, Palikir, August 18, 2020
- Pohnpei State Repatriation Efforts, 2nd Simulation Exercise, Palikir, Pohnpei, August 5-7, 2020
- Kosrae Simulation Exercises, Tofol, Kosrae, July 20, 2020
- FSM COVID-19 Guidelines, Palikir, August 4, 2020
- Press Release on the People’s Republic of China donating additional medical supplies to the FSM, Palikir, July 27, 2020
- Press Release on the second half of simulation exercises to prepare for the repatriation of FSM citizens residing in the State of Kosrae, Palikir, July 25, 2020
FSM COVID-19 Moderna Vaccine
FSM COVID-19 VACCINATION COVERAGE AS OF 04/10/2021
Eligible population (18 years and older)